Kimi Raikkonen has gone fastest in his Ferrari on the final day of the first Pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Day four, and the final day of the first test, saw Kimi Raikkonen set the fastest time of the day with a 1:23.477 on the ultrasoft tyres. The time is still slightly off what Sebastian Vettel managed on day two, but was adequate enough to beat Daniil Kvyat on the same tyres. The result is the Ferrari has finished three out of the four days of testing with the fastest time, and have set the fastest time overall. However, the key thing to remember about lap times in testing is teams do not show their hand in testing, with teams sandbagging and playing with fuel loads. The data does appear to be rather positive for Ferrari.
At the other end of the timesheets it was a torrid day for McLaren, with the ghost of 2015 pre-season testing coming back to haunt them. After running relatively trouble free for the first two days running was cut short yesterday for Jenson Button due to a hydraulic leak. Today it was a similar story. The car suffered a coolant leak, resulting in Fernando Alonso only managing a meagre 3 laps, none of which were timed. It’s a blow for the Woking based team who looked like they had turned a corner at the beginning of testing.
As if to add insult to injury for McLaren the other teams who have been suffering from testing gremlins found form today as well. With Renault gaining some ground after a difficult pre-season test so far. Kevin Magnussen completed 153 laps today before his car stopped. Despite this hiccup Magnussen completed the most laps of any driver in a day, and was largely competitive with his lap times too.
But as the trend has been in winter testing Mercedes topped the mileage again. Both drivers were in the car today, with Hamilton taking the morning session and Rosberg in the car for the afternoon. Between the pair of them they were able to add another 185 laps to their total so far, which stands at 675 laps of the Circuit de Catalunya. Or the equivalent of 10 full races of the Spanish Grand Prix.
Elsewhere on the grid new team Haas were ambitious in the afternoon, planning their first ever race simulation. Unfortunately red flags for Rio Haryanto’s beached Manor, and then for their own car later on, curtailed their running.
Day Four Pre-season fastest times + laps
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Ultrasoft tyre, 1:23.477, 80 laps
2. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, Ultrasoft tyre, 1:24.293, 96 laps
3. Alfonso Celis, Force India, (Test driver for the team) Supersoft tyre, 1:24.840, 75 laps
4. Kevin Magnussen, Renault, Soft tyre, 1:25.263, 153 laps
5. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, Medium tyre, 1:25.393, 110 laps
6. Felipe Nasr, Sauber (2015 spec car), Soft tyre, 1:26.053, 121 laps
7. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Medium tyre, 1:26.187, 86 laps
8. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Medium tyre, 1:26.295, 99 laps
9. Felipe Massa, Williams, Medium tyre, 1:26.942, 54 laps
10. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, Medium tyre, 1:27.802, 89 laps
11. Rio Haryanto, Manor, Soft tyre, 1:28.266, 51 laps
12. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, No time, 3 laps.
The second and final F1 pre-season test starts in Barcelona on Tuesday March 1
Feature Image Credit: Scuderia Ferrari Press Release