After much anticipation, season 3 of Formula E has finally gotten underway and the opening race was nothing less than fantastic and full of action and heart racing moments.
With Nelson Piquet Jr. on Pole and team-mate, Oliver Turvey starting in 2nd, the two looked to have a good advantage for the race. Piquet was quick to pull away from the rest of the field at the start but Turvey moved back to 4th after narrowly missing the barriers at the first corner.
Further back there was chaos between both ABT cars and Ma Qing Hua in the Techeetah. Di Grassi bumped into Hua, which shoved him into the back of Daniel Abt. Hua’s race was over and both ABT cars had wing damage. Daniel was given the Black & Orange Flag, signaling that he needed to get to the pits.
It was a race to forget overall for Techeetah, as not only did Ma Qing Hua have his race ended early, but team-mate, Jean-Eric Vergne was unable to finish the race after running out of usable energy from his second car.
Jose Maria Lopez, Sam Bird’s new team-mate, crashed into the barriers in the later part of the race. Piquet Jr. was right behind him and found himself unable to turn enough to avoid the stricken Virgin car and instead went nose first into the barriers as well, except not quite as hard. Piquet was able to reverse and get back into the race, although he finished the race in 11th. Not the result he wanted after starting from Pole.
Instead, leading the race was Sebastien Buemi, with Lucas Di Grassi and Nick Hiedfeld behind him. Turvey found himself just out of reach multiple times, meaning neither NextEV car was able to acheive the podium finish they were looking for. While Di Grassi finished the race in 2nd, Daniel Abt ran out of usable energy just laps before the end of the race.
With Buemi winning the first race of the season, he leads the Drivers Championship, but with plenty more races to go, there’s no denying the order will shuffle around before the final rounds in New York.
- Sebastien Buemi – Renault e.Dams / Switzerland
- Lucas Di Grassi – ABT-Schaeffler Audi Sport / Brazil
- Nick Heidfeld – Mahindra Racing Formula E Team / Germany
- Nicolas Prost – Renault e.Dams / France
- Antonio Felix da Costa – MS Amlin Andretti / Portugal
- Robin Frijns – MS Amlin Andretti / Netherlands
- Jerome d’Ambrosio – Faraday Future Dragon Racing / Belgium
- Oliver Turvey – NextEV NIO / Great Britain
- Maro Engel – Venturi Formula E Team / Germany
- Stephane Sarrazin – Venturi Formula E Team / France
- Nelson Piquet Jr. – NextEV NIO / Brazil
- Adam Carroll – Panasonic Jaguar Racing / Great Britain
- Sam Bird – DS Virgin Racing / Great Britain
- Loic Duval – Faraday Future Dragon Racing / France
- Felix Rosenqvist – Mahindra Racing Formula E Team / Sweden
Daniel Abt – ABT-Schaeffler Audi Sport / Germany / No Usable Energy
Jean-Eric Vergne – Techeetah / France / No Usable Energy
Mitch Evans – Panasonic Jaguar Racing / New Zealand /
Jose Maria Lopez – DS Virgin Racing / Argentina / Crash
Ma Qing Hua – Techeetah / China / Crash
Image Credit to: FIA Formula E Media