Heavy rain caused all sorts of trouble at Silverstone for the final day of the British F3 season.
Day two for the British F3 weekend at Silverstone greeted the F3 desk with rain, and lots of it. Arriving at the track and taking a little stroll down the pit lane it was very clear to see conditions were going to be tricky.
After a slight delay race two got underway behind the safety car, but it was short lived. Conditions got worse after just two laps and with that out came the red flags.
With the rain setting the Clerk of the Course David Scott stated;
‘Race two of the BRDC British Formula 3 Championship on Sunday 14 October was started behind the Safety Car in accordance with MSA Regulations.
‘The race was abandoned due to heavy rain and standing water and the cars were returned to the Pit Lane.
‘The results show that the leader had completed TWO laps. In accordance with BRDC British Formula 3 Championship regulation 1.6.4 full points are awarded.’
Josh Mason therefore is awarded the victory, with the top-three completed by Hillspeed’s Ben Hurst and Douglas Motorsport’s Arvin Esmaeili. With the race run entirely behind the Safety Car, the finishing order is exactly the same as the starting positions.
Speaking with championship winner Linus Lundqvist it was clearly the right decision; “it was horrible, I was aquaplaning under the safety car”, the Double R driver said. The Swedish ace was very glad the championship was won yesterday rather than in these conditions.
BRDC British F3 Championship, Silverstone race two result:
1. Josh Mason, Lanan Racing, 2 laps
2. Ben Hurst, Hillspeed, +0.777s
3. Arvin Esmaeili, Douglas Motorsport, +1.054s
4. Clement Novalak, Carlin, +2.615s
5. Sun Yue Yang, Carlin, +2.615s
6. Kush Maini, Lanan Racing, +4.786s
7. Sasakorn Chaimongkol, Hillspeed, +5.699s
8. Jamie Chadwick, Douglas Motorsport, +7.630s
9. Hampus Ericsson, Fortec Motorsports, +8.825s
10. Jusuf Owega, Hillspeed, +9.248s
11. Krishnaraaj Mahadik, Double R Racing, +10.997s
12. Ayrton Simmons, Chris Dittmann Racing, +11.904s
13. Manuel Maldonado, Fortec Motorsports, +12.511s
14. Billy Monger, Carlin, +13.472s
15. Tom Gamble, Fortec Motorsports, +15.060s
16. Linus Lundqvist, Double R Racing, +17.455s
17. Nicolai Kjaergaard, Carlin, +18.912s
18. Pavan Ravishankar, Double R Racing, +21.235s
With that the F3 desk retired to the dryness of the press box to see what the afternoon had in store.
However with persistent and heavy rain a decision was taken to abandon the rest of the day and so the the British F3 2018 season came to a rather soggy end. With that decision came confmation that as well as Lundqvist taking the crow, Kjaergaard takes second with Kush Maini taking third.
The F3 desk would like to thank everyone who has supported and followed us this season. We are already counting down the days till the 2019 season and we are looking forward to bringing you all the action.
Have a great winter everyone and see you in 2019!