Baku Circuit bosses have signed a new three year deal with Formula one, meaning the Azerbaijan Grand Prix will run until at least 2023.
Azerbaijan is one of the most recent additions to the Formula 1 calendar having joined in 2016 and the race has become well known for having unpredictable races and results.
The current contract was due to expire in 2020, however, the new extension today means there will be at least another 3 races around the historical city.
Azad Rahimov, Minister of Youth and Sports of the Republic of Azerbaijan said:
“This is a truly proud day for all of us. The last few years have been a dream come true for the people of Baku as we have seen our race weekend grow from a simple idea into one of the most dramatic and exciting race weekends in F1’s history.”
Liberty Media came into criticism last week from circuit promoters who stated that they were concerned with the direction Liberty were taking the sport in. This announcement will be welcome news to the sport’s owners as they look to resolve contract issues with other tracks.
The contract extension was signed at Conference on the Benefits of Hosting Major Sports Events and F1 CEO Chase Carey was present. He said:
“We are very pleased to have renewed this agreement which will see the Azerbaijan Grand Prix feature on the Formula 1 World Championship calendar for many years to come. In just a short space of time, this race has become one of the most popular of the season, always producing closely fought and spectacular racing.”
The Azerbaijan Grand Prix will be held on April 28 in 2019.